In recent years, “turmeric coffee” or “golden milk lattes” have grown in popularity. These drinks are warm, colorful, tasty, and super nutritious!
Turmeric coffee is extremely simple, as it only involves adding a turmeric supplement to your regular coffee.
A golden milk latte includes the turmeric, of course, but also spices such as ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon. It can also be made without coffee!
These drinks can be extremely healthy, supercharging your morning coffee!
The benefits of turmeric coffee
Many people agree that adding turmeric to coffee is quite flavorful. That’s good news, because it also increases the health profile of the beverage.
Since a turmeric coffee only involves adding a turmeric supplement to your cup of joe, the benefits are coming from the turmeric.
Used medicinally for thousands of years, turmeric contains many beneficial compounds. The most prevalent – and the most studied – compound is curcumin. This is a powerful anti-inflammatory with a rich antioxidant profile.
Due to this, some potential health benefits of adding turmeric to your coffee are:
- Reduced inflammation – because of its anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric can help reduce chronic inflammation, which is a precursor to several health issues, including potentially fatal diseases, cognitive decline, and digestive disorders. 
- Pain relief – curcumin can help reduce nerve and inflammatory pain. For example, one review looked at ten studies which compared turmeric to conventional methods of pain relief. Turmeric helped greatly in all of them, and even matched the efficacy of the conventional methods in three of them. [2, 3]
- Boosts antioxidant activity – free radicals are unstable atoms that can cause cellular damage and illness when they build up in the body. Diet, stress, and environmental factors like pollution and UV rays can produce them. Turmeric has been shown to be effective at neutralizing these atoms and reducing the damage they cause. 
- Immunity – due to its anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant profile, turmeric can help promote a healthy inflammatory response and allow for a more robust immune response against unwanted invaders. 
These are four major benefits of turmeric. But there are quite a few more! Click here to see the full list of turmeric’s benefits.
How coffee affects turmeric absorption
After seeing its amazing benefits, it’s unfortunate to discover that turmeric is very difficult for the body to absorb.
Unfortunately, the body isn’t always able to distinguish between beneficial compounds and toxic ones. In this case, the liver breaks down turmeric’s compounds, preventing the body from absorbing it.
In acidic liquids like coffee, turmeric has an even more difficult time getting absorbed.
One workaround to this you may have heard is to take turmeric with black pepper, as the piperine in the pepper will increase absorption. While this is true, we advise against it.
Remember when we said that the liver breaks down the turmeric compounds before your body can absorb them? Well, the reason that black pepper increases absorption is because it disrupts this process. And by doing so, it doesn’t just enhance the absorption of curcumin – it increases the absorption of other substances that the liver is meant to filter out. This includes toxic chemicals in the environment. It can also greatly increase the absorption of prescribed medications, causing them to be far more powerful than intended.
The difference between turmeric coffee and golden milk
To clear up any confusion, we want to explain the differences between these two.
First of all, they’re both tasty, and both allow you to get the amazing benefits of turmeric.
Turmeric coffee is simply your regular cup of coffee with turmeric added in. How much you use depends on both your preferred taste and the recommended dosage of the supplement you’re using.
Golden milk contains at least two things: warmed milk (dairy or non-dairy) and turmeric. From there, you can add any spices you may like, along with coffee.
Here is a golden milk recipe which, in our opinion, is super duper good!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups milk (can be dairy or a non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 8 pumps of Purality Health’s Micelle Liposomal Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Honey or maple syrup to taste
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
- ½ cup of coffee or espresso (optional)
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Put all ingredients into a small pot and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
Purality Health’s Turmeric
Our turmeric comes in a highly absorbable liquid form. It’s tasty and easy to take. Add it to juices, smoothies, coffee, or any recipe that calls for turmeric!
References and resources